The Senior Art Director is responsible for independently managing his/her assigned jobs and/or projects on the brand. He/she will work closely with copywriter(s) and other art directors to maintain brand consistency and excellence on all jobs and brainstorm for new ideas. The Senior Art Director will also ensure that all work is on strategy and contributes to growing the Client’s business.
Primary Job Responsibilities
- Independently manages assigned jobs and/or projects on the brand from concept/design stage through final production.
- Establish credibility with Clients at all levels by developing knowledge of Client’s business, both the brand itself and people involved (i.e. internal client structure, individual responsibilities, and interaction between groups/individuals with respect to their impact on client jobs).
- Keep abreast of current advertising, design, and other visual communications. Continuously explore cutting-edge, current, and unique design styles and imagery.
- Demonstrate the ability to work in various forms of media including a working knowledge of the print production process.
- Demonstrate a solid understanding of production techniques, options, budget and timing ramifications.
- Keep supervisor briefed on creative projects in a timely manner.
- Work to maintain the highest level brand integrity and excellence in all materials.
- Provide comprehensive design overview and brand consistency throughout each project and for each assigned account as a whole.
- Consistently provide fresh and unique thinking for all brand marketing/advertising initiatives.
- Ensure that Agency work is on strategy and contributes to growing the Client’s business.
- Work as a team with copywriters to develop conceptual approaches to meet Client objectives for all designated projects.
- Collaborate with other Art Director to establish a visual consistency throughout the brand.
- Work to ensure that all final products released demonstrate only the highest quality creative and effectively communicates brand messages to targeted customers
- Be an effective presenter and clearly communicate creative concepts and rationale for design choices to team and clients and/or new business prospects.
- Demonstrate ability to “zoom in and out” (big picture thinking as well as attention to details) as necessary.
- Demonstrate ability to collaborate with Client/Agency Creative/Account teams.
- Help create a collaborative work environment between all departments and demonstrate ability to handle conflicts in a positive, professional and productive manner.
- Maintain positive relationships with and utilize the internal business group departments (electronic studio, editorial, traffic, imaging and production) appropriately.
- Communicate effectively and professionally both internally and externally.
- Demonstrate good problem-solving and interpersonal skills.
- Remain calm despite high pressure situations.
- Project a professional attitude and foster a positive team atmosphere demonstrating respect for peers and supervisors and establish credibility both internally and externally.
- Assist other members of department/team as needed when workload allows.
- Perform other duties as assigned by manager.
- 2-5 years of art design/direction experience, preferably in advertising.
- Proficiency with Macintosh and the following programs - Quark Express, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Photo Shop CS2, Adobe Illustrator CS2, Adobe Acrobat, and Microsoft Entourage.
- Advertising or design portfolio.