Purpose: The medical writer is responsible for bringing to bear the scientific perspective for the development of communications strategies & content. The medical writer develops and produces high level, quality core concept written material.
All employees are expected to embody the 4 core values of CDM – Substance, Style, Conviction and Grace.
- CONTENT CREATION: Ensure all clinical and scientific data relevant to the brand’s communications planning are properly analyzed, presented and brought to bear on development of communications strategy to provide strategic and medical insight and make relevant, innovative and new recommendations.
- CREATIVE BRIEF: Assists in developing a “Creative Brief” by working with internal team (Art Director, Account Management, studio) and client team to define original concept, create a target audience, and providing medical perspective. Understands the creative brief and constantly aligns thinking to the brand’s strategy by working with internal team (account management and creative) to understand the goals and objectives of the client and knows how to proactively propose ideas to match the clients needs.
- BRAINSTORMING: Participate in development of brand positioning, strategic plans and key creative briefs from a scientific standpoint by representing the medical perspective to ensure that creative ideas and tactics are developed and delivered to our clients.
- MEDICAL ACCURACY: Ensures strategic and medical accuracy of content by reviewing and editing copy for correctness and applicable clinical data and market research to the concept work. Ensures completeness and accuracy of content by appropriately applying client-provided information, regulatory requirements & client-preferred style to the content copy.
- QUALITY CONTROL: Maintains Agency creative, medical and quality standards by ensuring all work sent to clients is error free as well as adhering to budget and time constraints.
- REGULATORY: Ensures legal and regulatory accuracy and compliance, by participating in a legal review with Client Company’s legal/medical/regulatory departments. Understands and can apply PAAB comments and continues to think strategically within the realm of the PAAB code to ensure we consistently delight the client. Works with account team to develop sound and detailed PAAB content/rationale/arguments.
- BRAND KNOWLEDGE: Has a high level of medical knowledge of each brand assigned. Maintains an on-going working knowledge of key competitors and brand strategies across multiple products by attending scientific and clinical meetings and reviewing clinical literature to build a foundation for strategic insight.
- COLLABORATION: Support Creative in the development of in-depth scientific materials by reviewing the scientific accuracy of communications and answering internal medical queries to ensure high quality and medical relevance of communication output. Also works closely with the account management and designers to help refine content before it goes into visual. Works in collaboration with creative to brainstorm ideas and develop tactics together as one creative unit.
- NEW BUSINESS: Contribute to new business pitches by querying key opinion leaders, developing key strategies, reviewing the accuracy of presentations, and providing scientific representation to address potential client queries to ensure that high quality and successful pitches have medical relevance.
- Action oriented
- Dealing with ambiguity
- Technical learning
- Strategic agility
- Time management
- Process Management
- Financial acumen
- 3+ years medical writing experience
- Must have MSc, PhD, MD, or PharmD
- Familiarity with medical, legal, and regulatory review process at pharmaceutical companies
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proven ability to creatively problem-solve and find innovative ways of approaching projects
- Proven ability to work independently as well as successfully collaborate within teams
- Prior work experience within a pharmaceutical environment, ideally in a role related to marketing/communications. Must possess a strong team orientation and have previous demonstrated successes surrounding the ability to conceptualize and thing strategically.