Director of Editorial Services
The Director of Editorial Services will supervise and manage a department of medical editors and proofreaders to deliver editorially accurate work while meeting agency and client deadlines.
· Demonstrate proficiency and uphold excellence in all aspects of editing, proofreading, grammar and punctuation, reference and fact checking.
· Organize and update individual client style guides and checklists so that all editors understand the client’s proofreading and editorial needs.
· Uphold standards of excellence for the agency and encourage the department to work as an integral part of all of the operations departments
· Meet regularly with Account Services and/or Copy personnel to discuss editorial issues, practices, and overall timelines
· Manage and provide adequate personnel coverage throughout the day and evening as demanded by workload and deadlines.
· Schedule coverage for all accounts and arrange for distribution of workloads among all department members.
· Train editors on AMA and client styles, coaching them on interpersonal interaction and encouraging verbal and direct communication with copywriters and account supervisors
· Hire and terminate editorial personnel when appropriate (in coordination with the VP, Director of Operations and Human Resources)
· Provide constructive and direct on-going feedback to editorial staff and generate performance reviews.
· Supervise all editors’ schedules to ensure editorial coverage at all times.
· Hire freelance editors and/or proofreaders when needed to help meet deadlines.
· Monitor, review and approve staff’s time sheets.
· Manage and resolve staff issues relating to performance and internal interactions
· Resolve workload challenges/concerns on team accounts.
· Perform job-related tasks as determined by the VP, Director of Operations.
· Demonstrate ability to set priorities while handling multiple projects and to delegate work appropriately.
· In-depth knowledge of assigned product brands and brands of his/her editorial team.
· Project professional, positive attitude toward all Agency members.
· Remain calm in high pressure situations.
· Strive to develop in-depth knowledge of assigned product brands.
· Uphold Agency quality standards in servicing the Client.
· Assist other members of department as needed when workload allows.
· Develop knowledge of Client’s process/procedures for all submissions.
· College degree.
· 7-10 years Editing/proofreading experience.
· 5-7 years of managerial experience.
· Superior proofreading skills.
· An excellent grasp of grammar.
· Ability to follow instructions.
· Positive/helpful attitude.
· Proficient in MS Word.