Freelance Junior Editor
The Freelance Junior Editor provides support to the Editorial department in its various functions and assists the editors in the completion of their daily work. In their role they will help the team achieve its goal of completing the workload each day in a timely and efficient manner. This is an opportunity to learn medical editing and pharmaceutical advertising in a fast-paced and dynamic environment working on an industry-leading oncology brand.
In addition to light proofreading and administrative tasks, the junior editor serves the primary trafficking and coordination function between the Editorial department and Operations team, with additional interaction with other agency staff. In this specific role, they will communicate key information about project timing to the Editorial department, as well as maintain and distribute the project “Hot Sheet” on a daily basis.
- Assemble and distribute daily Hot Sheet by collecting the high-priority projects and submissions from the daily status e-mails sent by the Project Managers for their indications
- Follow up proactively during the day with the lead Project Managers to track status of projects and to ensure critical information about deliverables and timing is effectively communicated to the team
- As requested by an editor, assist in performing various tasks, which include initial reads, checking changes and “slugging” versus backups, and proofreading, as well as comparing documents using Content Compare software and providing a discrepancy report
- Help with various administrative tasks that include fulfilling reference order requests, booking conference rooms, and other miscellaneous internal admin support
- Must be able to multitask and receive and process direction from multiple staff members, and to be proactive on follow-up
- Extremely detailed oriented with an aptitude for editorial work, including strong proofreading skills
- Master agency’s various system tools, including: Unifile (Sharepoint document server), Box (cloud-based file transfer/storage), Dynamics (agency timesheet software), and Condeco (conference room scheduler)
- Learn AMA style, client styles, and various internal guidance documents and forms
- College degree
- 1-2 years editorial experience in pharmaceutical, advertising, publishing, communications, or related industry is desired
- Must be highly organized with an ability to communicate well both verbally and through email
- Computer literacy, including Mac, Microsoft Office, and Adobe Acrobat
Note that additional responsibilities may arise not explicitly outlined in this job description.