Freelance Managing Editor
The Managing Editor is a working Editorial position that carries additional responsibilities of training, supervising, and evaluating department members to ensure they deliver editorially accurate work while meeting agency and client deadlines.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
- Edit copy according to Agency and Client style and make certain all jobs contain all appropriate information required by Clients and the FDA (eg, copyright lines, logos and generic names, fair balance, job code numbers, please see lines, etc)
- Edit all manuscripts for grammar, punctuation, spelling, AMA style, Client style etc.
- Edit all layouts for agreement with latest manuscript or with approved copy from Client.
- Fact check all references cited in manuscripts layouts for accuracy of citation and for faithfulness to statements or data drawn from references using annotations/references supplied by the Copywriter.
- Clear all significant recommended changes in wording with the Copywriter or Copy Supervisor for each job.
- Ensure each job is reviewed at each stage according to Agency Job Flow Procedures.
- Fact check projects per department guidelines.
- Keep Copywriters, Project Coordinators, Art Directors, and Account Services team members informed of any significant editorial issues on any job.
- Attend team status and start up meetings when requested (including meetings for the editors on his/her team).
- Present editorial department functions during client and new staff orientations.
- Serve as a department leader to oversee the work of individual copy editors, including training editors, evaluating their work, and monitoring quality control standards to ensure that all work meets the highest standards of accuracy.
- Provide constructive and direct on-going feedback to editors and senior editors in the department.
- Conduct the performance reviews of the editors and senior editors in the department with review by VP, Director of Operations/Director of Editorial Services.
- Manage and resolve staff issues relating to performance and internal interactions in coordination with VP, Director of Operations/ Director of Editorial Services.
- Keep Director of Operations/Director of Editorial Services apprised of any workload challenges/concerns on assigned team accounts.
- Supervise editors’ schedules to ensure editorial coverage at all times.
- Hire freelance editorial staff when necessary to meet deadlines.
- Monitor, review and approve staff time sheets.
- Meet with account services and copy personnel to discuss workflow and resolve issues with assistance of VP, Director of Operations/Director of Editorial Services.
- Perform other job-related tasks as assigned by the VP, Director of Operations/Director of Editorial Services.
- Demonstrate ability to set priorities while handling multiple projects and to delegate work appropriately.
- Project professional, positive attitude toward all Agency members.
- Remain calm in high pressure situations.
- In-depth knowledge of assigned product brands and brands of his/her editorial team.
- Uphold Agency quality standards in servicing the Client.
- Assist other members of department as needed when workload allows.
- Develop knowledge of Client’s process/procedures for all submissions.
- Recommend to Director of Operations/Director of Editorial Services adjustments/additions to the processes and procedures of the Editorial Department to achieve continuous improvement and efficiency across all accounts and/or specific accounts.
- 3-5 years of proofreading experience.
- 1-2 years of supervisory experience preferred.
- Superior proofreading skills.
- An excellent grasp of grammar.
- Ability to follow instructions.
- Positive/helpful attitude.